Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Right Amount of Calories For You

Calorie counting can be very confusing because there is no one right way of doing it. We are all a little different, and we can fit into any category at any point in our lives. So, how do we decide what to do? Your doctor can help you in this matter, but there are a few categories that may require a closer look.
Active: Very active people are going to require more caloric intake. This includes athletes, marathon runners and those who have very physical jobs. Parents often fit into this category, especially if the kids are still very young. Carrying a twenty pound toddler up the stairs to bed can be quite a workout. Take your weight and multiply it by seventeen to get your daily caloric needs.

Children: Kids need different amounts at different stages. As an example, toddlers need from 1000 to 1400 while teen boys need from 2200 to 3200. That may explain why a teenage boy can eat through the stored groceries like a cloud of locusts.
Male/Female: Women and men need different amounts of calories, mostly based on body type. A woman should not carry as much weight as a man of the same height. An example is this: at my age, weight and activity level, I need about 3200 calories per day to maintain my current weight. Changing only gender, I would need more than 3500.

Overweight/Obese: Knowing how many calories I should take in to maintain my current weight gives me a point of reference for how many calories I need to lose weight. By deducting ten to fifteen percent, I know that my daily caloric intake should be about 2100. However, to make sure that this is right, I will still use a calorie calculator. Even if these estimates are accurate, I still won't lose weight if I consume more than I burn.

Pregnancy: This is somewhat individual, but the rule of thumb is that during the last six months of the pregnancy, you should consume about 2500/day. This may differ if you are underweight, overweight or carrying multiples.

Underweight: This will require a calculator, just as being overweight can benefit from one. Such information as your age, current weight, desired weight and gender will all change the calculation slightly. Also as with being overweight, it's a good idea to check the numbers with your actual caloric intake and output.

The internet has made dealing with calories a lot easier. However, you still need to put in the time and effort if you want to arrive at or maintain your ideal weight. Your doctor and a nutritionist are good allies in this endeavor, so make an appointment today so that you can live your new, healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

MeStomach - The Video